Monday, November 1, 2010

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Gamma World

This article is about my initial reactions to Wizards of the Coast new reprint of the old gem Gamma World.  An in depth review of the game may come later.


GAMMA WORLD






I recently heard about this game for the first time from Penny Arcade.  Admittedly, this is probably not the BEST source of information about tabletop gaming, but it usually does present things in a light that I am receptive to: It puts forward the best, worst, and quirkiest parts of a game.

Their strip on Gamma World did much to intrigue me, to say the least.

Over the weekend, I participated in a tournament for Malifaux in Waynesboro, PA. I ended up tying for first with the friend I'd brought with me.  We split the prizes evenly, and I put my share of the store credit towards completing my Malifaux collection, and a starter box of Gamma World.  I initially saw it as an impulse buy, and since I was getting about half off the merchandise, all totaled, why not?

I took the box home, read the introduction, and instantly fell in love.  So far, the game presents itself as a simplified version of D&D4e with the addition of a card drawing mechanic.  From what I've seen of the setting, it has wide flexibility as far as genre and play style opportunities go.  Perk: The non sequitur is brilliant.  While I have yet to actually play it, I expect great things.  It is my sincere hope that this game will at least do SOMETHING to restore some of my lost faith in Dungeons and Dragons, and Wizards of the Coast in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment